Monday, April 5, 2010

something special...

so, i don't have the strongest relationship with my dad and step-mom. they moved to celebration, florida a number of years ago...and we just grew apart. i have really different values and morals and sometimes it was difficult for me to communicate with them.

a surprise just arrived in my inbox and i got a little teary. i only have a few days left of being 32...and i have to say, i don't mind. i am really looking forward to 33. 32 has been a tough one. so many bumps, false starts and disappointments in the past year. that's not to say that i haven't learned so much and had some amazingly enjoyable experiences too. i just wouldn't say it was my favorite year.

well, i wanted to share a little bit of the note i just received from my step-mom...we aren't very close, but i will say she does have some valuable insights on life. she has always been an eternal optimist, as was her dad...my only grandfather figure. he was a great man and not a day passes that i don't think of him and my nana. they were two of the most amazing people in my life to date. they taught me so much...including the gift of "table manners for teenagers." i guess sometimes you need to look beyond what you aren't getting and see what you already have.

here it is....i hope you can see the beauty in it too.


"Have fun turning 33; I think it is a lucky number.
It's when I married Daddy, trimmed my dream of being a Commissioner of
Education into more realistic goals; introduced you and K to travel
beyond New England (Oh E - you loved the adventure of traveling
right from the start - no fear and talked to everyone); and learned
how much care the lawn I thought was so pretty took at 15 Woodstone
Road! As you get ready to greet your birthday, remember, life is a journey of
surprises, happiness, challenges, and occasional sadness, and you are
made of what it takes to greet them all."

xo Mum
Dad says "HI!" and xo

3 comments:

  1. I'm also an eternal optimist. Every bump a long they way just opens my eyes to something new, different and exciting. This is going to be the year of Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her note is wonderful. I think your chosen name, "through the grit," can accurately describe our 30s. A lot of rough moments, raw disappointments, genuine successes, and knowledge gained through hard knocks. ...but, all the while, traveling towards something that matters. Something real. 33 will bring many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday week, EAC! That was wonderful what Cher wrote - I think SHE'S actually the real writer in the family. She learned that bulletproof optimism from Gramps.
    Today, (4/7) is the 7th anniversary of Gramp's trip to Heaven, so it's fitting that I caught up with you on Facebook and absorbed your notes about Kaye and Ned. Thanks for remembering them so vividly and sweetly.
    Hope you have a b'day cake on the 11th (martini is not a cake, sadly) - if Nana were here, she'd take care of that l'il detail.
    Love to you and your doglet,
    Hol

    ReplyDelete