Monday, January 3, 2011

happiness is...

I discovered The Yoga Barn in Ubud today. It's this lovely yoga studio with a restaurant and spa. 60 minute massages are $20. I have one scheduled for tomorrow after class. This place also has movies every other Monday evening. I went tonight and guess what? The movie was about happiness. It was called "Happy." It was a director's screening. It hasn't been released yet, but when it is I recommend that everyone sees it.

Here is the breakdown...we are born with 50% of of our happiness potential, 10% is circumstantial, and the remaining 40% is up to you. It's the choices you make. For example do you lay around or do you go for a run? Do you explore the world? Apparently, the more you are pushing yourself the happier you are. Also, if you have something that you love to do, like play the violin or surf this provides happiness. If you help other people this makes for a lot of happiness. See the movie...it is so inspiring. This is just what I remember off of the top of my head.

One chapter is about meditation...it specifically focuses on lovingkindess. You can actually change your brain by meditating. I once dated someone who told me that all of that stuff was nonsense...not so. It is scientifically proven that meditating creates happiness. Some days that is a hard choice for me. I would so much rather sleep the extra 30 minutes. Now, I am inspired to make the decision that will bring me the most happiness in the morning. The same with yoga...so many nights after work I just want to go and have a drink and while friends and family create happiness so does intense focus.

It was a fascinating film and more information can be found here: http://www.thehappymovie.com/ Check it out. I met Eiji and he is super cool. I really hope that his documentary takes off.

Happiness really is about choices, at least 40% of it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment