Monday, January 10, 2011

homeward bound

Here I am, back in the HK airport. I wish I could say that I have maintained my vacation attitude...I had a minor meltdown in the Denpasar airport when they wouldn't allow me to carry-on both of my luggage pieces due to weight. I asked if I could pay overweight and the clerk accused me of trying to bribe him! Tears ensued, which led to me ripping my luggage apart in the middle of the check-in lines, having one of my bags wrapped in plastic, sending down the conveyor belt and praying for its arrival in NYC. I had to apologize to both of the clerks who were trying to help me...they apologized in return.

I love to travel, but I hate the actual traveling part. I find it dreadful lugging all of my belongings, standing in lines, going through security, having them paw through my bags for a nail clipper, arriving in a new airport and going through the entire process again. I enjoy the arriving at my final destination part.

So, here I sit...tapping away. I have about 2 hours to kill before my flight to Vancouver. I am exhausted! I didn't sleep much last night...because there was a...wait for it...RAT in my bedroom! It may have been a large mouse...very large! Those who know me well understand what this means. It means hysteria!

I was sitting on my bed under the mosquito netting listening to rain and enjoying the breeze when I heard something. I looked...nothing...a few minutes later I heard it again. I had my flashlight at the ready. I only saw it's shadow and saw it JUMP! Yes, I stood on the bed shaking. I then hit the wall with the flashlight a few times and hightailed it to the security guards . They thought this was hilarious and had me laughing too. Their English is incredibly limited. At first they thought I had a roach, which would have been fine by me. There I stood pantomiming a mouse complete with the squeaking...Ohhhhhh! They came into my house and the first thing we saw was a massive gecko. I was a bit relieved. I told them if it was the gecko I was fine. One of the guards replied, "No gecko. Gecko no jump." There went that sense of ease. They then assure me that it wouldn't bother me. This didn't help me sleep at all. So, no yoga this morning...too tired...just one last swim in the pool and breakfast with my new friends.

It's not surprising that their would be rodents around where I was staying. The house is immaculate, but it's on a rice field. Mice and rats and snakes love the rice paddies. The house also doesn't have windows. Animals come and go as they please. I have woken up to dogs, cats, foot long lizards, giant water bugs, spiders...all in the room with me. I was okay with this most of the time. I was not okay with the cats whining like babies...but I would have welcomed one in bed with me last night! I wrapped myself like a mummy and waited for the sun to rise, slept for two hours and then got going. Not my favorite way of ending my holiday, but I would still go back and stay in the same house in a minute. Yes, totally freaked out, but for the most part I slept like a baby there.

So, how am I choosing happiness today? Well...I guess by breathing. It's hard to reenter and I welcome the long flights ahead to just be still and sleep. I have also been meditating on the plane when I start to feel overwhelmed. Not the ideal location, but better than allowing the anxiety to creep back in. I am also still eating well. On the plane all I wanted was a date ball...weird. Good thing I know exactly where to get one on my way to work tomorrow! I am also embracing the exhaustion and rolling with it. I hope that I can sleep on this next leg and then beat the jet lag a bit faster. I think that might be the upside here. We shall see if I am an absolute zombie on Tuesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment